Tuesday 22 February 2011

Inters Continues

There is a great deal of things to tell you and not a lot of time to tell them but i'll do my best.

We have entered was is commonly known as Faraday Stretch which is the 5 weeks between the end of First Encounter and Druids Ridge (our next big exercise) which basically involves a great deal of academic work in Faraday Hall. Combined with this academic work there is a mix of range work, PT, lots of orders and combat estimate practice as well as copious amounts of drink.

We had our regimental visits last week which again gave us an opportunity to visit our choice of arm and to make final decisions as to which are going to be our firm first and second choice. I decided to go away with the Army Air Corps for my final visit to a squadron based in Dishforth. The day began with the announcement that we wouldn't be leaving till 1300 which was strange considering that it was at least a 5 hour drive to get to North Yorkshire, which lead us to believe that we would arrive just in time to eat, have a few drinks in the bar, go to bed to then get up early the next morning only to have to leave pretty sharpish to get back in time for Academy Sports training. But at the last possible moment the AAC rep at Sandhurst informed us that they were flying two Lynx helicopters to pick us up from Sandhurst to take us there. The visit was a great opportunity to see how a regular squadron is run and meet another group of officers and NCOs to further our knowledge of the Corps. They were then kind enough to drop us back off the following morning. It took a 5 hour drive down to an hour and a half flight. Winner!

The View From My Window

We have also been training hard for our upcoming orders test which is this Thursday called Practac. But I think the platoon is more than ready to pass it.

I was also lucky enough on the weeks just gone to attend my old OTC annual dinner in Cambridge, which was absolutely fantastic. It was great seeing old and new faces and gave me a chance to let my hair down with good company, as well as have a good amount of drink. Thanks to everyone for an absolutely amazing night.

On that note I would like to let my old shooting coach Stewart Smart know that I had my Annual Combat Marksmanship Test this week which I not only passed but obtained the Marksman Badge (affectionately named the Crow Badge). Without you Stew that wouldn't have been possible.

On another positive note one of my Choices of Arms has offered me a place at the Regimental Selection Boards, so I now only have to wait for my other choice and I'm all set.

I've still got a couple of weeks of Faraday Stretch to enjoy then I'm on exercise again, so watch this space.

Thanks to anyone who is still reading this!

3 comments:

  1. I never knew you could drink so much! (CUOTC dinner).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoy reading your blog - shame it's not updated a bit more often!

    I don't blame you of course, I can imagine it's very busy in the machine that is RMAS!

    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for looking after us on your birthday, particularly as you had just come off a five day exercise. Hope your reports went well and you got some sleep!
    Good luck with your interview.

    Buttons in Twos!

    ReplyDelete